Monday, September 24, 2012

Jellybeans

I went to see The Jellybean Conspiracy Saturday night.  As I entered the Historic Bama Theater, a friend and usher for the evening asked:  "Did you bring your Kleenex?"  And indeed, I had grabbed a handful before I left the house.  I certainly needed them.  The kids on that stage were near and dear to my heart.  My passion from many years ago in 1985 when I was bold enough to tell a University of Alabama advisor that in fact I did not like computer science at all but was very interested in special education.  I declared a major and began on a journey toward working with kids with emotional difficulties, but ended up majoring in Orthopedically Handicapped and Other Health Impaired.  These kids typically have Down Syndrome, Cerebral Palsy, or Spina Bifida.  Those are the kids that appeared on stage this weekend.  Playing the drums, singing, dancing, and smiling oh so big!

Perhaps the most touching part was listening to the stories from the parents. A handful of very brave Moms stood on stage and shared what it was like to get the news that their precious baby would not be "normal."  There can't be anything easy about raising a special needs child, but it is amazing to hear that in reality these kids teach us so much.  Most of them, although they sometimes are laughed at, teased, or called names such as stupid and retard, are loving and kind.  They greet each day with a smile and most days make everyone else smile as well. 

Act II hit home as well since it took place in a high school.  The story of a teenage girl with a brother who has Down Syndrome.  In that classroom, kids were calling each other names such as idiot and retard and stupid, unbeknownst to the fact that Cricket had a brother at home who actually fit that description.  Cricket, prompted by her wanna be boyfriend, sets out to make her brother normal.  She tries to try and fix what is wrong with him.  Of course in the end she realizes that he is just fine the way he is, and boyfriend actually makes friends with her brother. 

I would venture to say that the first real "bad" word kids learn is stupid. Ummm...he just said the "S" word.   It is a no-no in Kindergarten, and probably most of elementary school, especially when directed toward an individual.  By middle school, however, it is pretty common-place.  As is idiot and retard.  My son uses idiot frequently.  I don't like it.  He was also at Jellybean, and I think now he gets why that word bothers me so.  You never know who is listening, or what circumstances someone is facing, and you certainly would not hurt them on purpose

Aren't we all like the character Cricket, though.  We want to fix things.  If something doesn't fit into the mold just right, it needs to be fixed.  Parents don't want to see their children hurt emotionally or physically.  We can bandage a skinned knee or put a broken bone in  a cast, but some things are just meant  ordained to be. 

I have to tie this all into my faith.  I am reminded of someone who was laughed at and scorned as well.   Jesus, my savior,  died humbly on the cross for my sins.  The God of all things created each and every one of us, all unique individuals with various gifts, talents, and quirks.  Thank goodness we are not all alike.  We're "fearfully and wonderfully made."  You wouldn't want to walk in my shoes, and I probably wouldn't want to walk in yours.  But the body of Christ works together. 

So, fellow jellybean, you are just right.  You are beautiful in the eyes of the Lord.  God created you to be who you are, and sent His son to save you from your sin.  You will never be perfect on this earth, but neither will anyone else. 

Psalm 49:3  My mouth shall speak wisdom; and the meditation of my heart shall be understanding.

Monica

No comments:

Post a Comment