Tuesday, August 7, 2012

By Bread Alone

Matthew 4:4  Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'"

Deuteronomy 8:3 He humbled you, causing you to hunger and then feeding you with manna, which neither you nor your fathers had known, to teach you that man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the LORD.


Last week our church youth went on a local mission trip to Lincoln Village in Huntsville, AL.  The Village has quite a story, and you can check it out
here.  I was most affected, however, by our time at the Manna House soup kitchen. 
I'm not quite sure what I expected.  Well, take that back.  I envisioned all of us standing behind a counter pouring soup into a bowl with a smile on our faces and offering a hot meal.  I figured we would help make the soup before hand.  After all, we were to volunteer from 3PM-7PM. 

I found nothing like that.  No soup anywhere.  Instead fresh produce, fresh eggs, sandwiches made with care, sweet breakfast treats, bagels, and desserts.  Even cat food and dog food by request for the family pet.

It was about to storm when we arrived.  Faye, bless her heart, was so concerned that those who came would have to stand in the rain that she put us to work immediately clearing a place inside for everyone to stand in line.  It was a short downpour, but almost everyone made it inside.  Men and women made their way through an assembly line.  They were given fresh fruit and vegetables, clothing if needed, sandwiches (balogna or peanut butter), and sweets for dessert.  About four of our girls spent their time cutting cakes and putting them on plates to serve.  They were nasty and sticky messes when they finished.  I spent my time bagging bread and bagels. 

For roughly 3 hours, the bread supply just kept coming.  I know some of it was from Panera, and some from The Mill Bakery in Huntsville, but just as soon as I thought surely there is no more bread, I was given another bag of bagels to sort through and individually bag.  Three young men from Huntsville High School were also helping me.  Problem is they got it wrong.  They were mixing the loaves of bread in with the bagels.  A lovely lady tried so hard to explain to them their mistake.  She was mute.  Yes, that is right.  She used only her hands to try to explain to us our mistake.  I finally got what she was telling us.  I don't even know her name, but I was so touched by her hard work.  Obviously needy herself, she was giving her time at Manna House.  I could tell she had been there many times before.  She knew exactly what to do.  God Bless her!!!

Because I was working with the bread, the verse "Man can not live by bread alone" kept popping into my head.  At the end of the assembly line for food, a few volunteers were praying with individuals before they left the kitchen.  I listened in on  a few prayers.  God, please continue to bless (insert name)'s family.  Thank you for providing for them today.  Please help (insert name) to find a job.  Thank you for providing Jesus as our savior.  And so on.  That completes the verse; "but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God."  Matthew 4:4

After standing for four hours in not the most comfortable shoes, I was sore.  I thought surely I would sleep soundly that night, but my muscles were aching.  The volunteers at Manna House do this three nights a week.  They feed about 2000.  I am not sure if that is daily or weekly, but it is amazing. 

Thank you, volunteers of Manna House, for your ministry.  I hope to visit our local soup kitchen soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment