Monday, August 13, 2012

Empty Spaces and Amazing Grace

I think the mist has finally cleared from my eyes enough to complete this post.  Most of you who might be reading this already know that I/we took this guy to begin his Freshman year at Auburn University on Saturday. 

This event is by far one of the hardest things I have ever had to do.  Our family is very tight knit.  I  teach school at the same high school Scott graduated from.  I always knew where he was going, and even what was on the lunch menu for the day.  I've been involved in our church youth events enough to know what was going on at church as well. 

Guess what?  He went to/visited  a new church on Sunday.  I had to ask what he had for lunch.  I have only met his room mate for about 30 minutes.    I certainly hope I never have to meet any of his teachers :-).   Control lost.

There is an empty bedroom in the house.  There is an empty chair at the family dinner table.  There is an empty parking spot in front of the house.  In six days there will be an empty seat in the van because yes, Scott enjoyed riding to school with me.  There is an empty chair in our row at church.  Emptiness.  There is an empty space in my heart. 

The physical spaces will remain empty; however, God can fill the space in my heart.  Amazing Grace.  It is our song of renewal this month at church.  I couldn't sing it Sunday...too many tears.  Guess what else...Chris Tomlin's version  (of Amazing Grace) was on the radio as I drove home.  More tears.  Sheesh.

So what does Amazing Grace have to do with Scott beginning a new chapter of life as some have called it?    Comfort.  Peace.  Joy.  Fullness.  A reminder of what God did for me.

T'was Grace that taught...
my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear...
the hour I first believed.
Through many dangers, toils and snares...
we have already come.
T'was Grace that brought us safe thus far...
and Grace will lead us home.
The Lord has promised good to me...
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be...
as long as life endures.

My job is almost complete. I say almost because there will be visits...and many discussions yet to come I'm sure.   Lowell and I have trained Scott.  He belongs to God.  My influence is fading.  Only God's remains.  Control lost.  What an awesome thought. 


I'll close with a link to Chris Tomlin's Amazing Grace


3 comments:

  1. You're making me tear up and I haven't sent any of mine off to college yet! Thinking and praying for you through this time. So encouraged by the song you posted too. Much Love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure which post brought more tears to my eyes... Scott leaving or feeding families in Huntsville. Both times you painted a beautiful picture of God's wonderfully grace. Thoughts and prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He looks so much like Lowell in that pic.

    ReplyDelete